Friday 21 February 2014

Stocking up on Comics

I've been for a fun day out in Cardiff - at one point I was walking along a pedestrianised area and it occurred to me that I'd probably seen it in a leaked clip from the next Doctor Who series, where Clara is making a phone call, and Peter Capaldi comes out of the Tardis, and gets a big hug.
The decision to shop in Cardiff was partly in order to use my Marks and Spencer gift voucher, but mostly I wanted to treat myself to comics. So I was delighted when I found Hunters Moon, the Green Arrow story which is the follow up to The Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell, at the Cardiff branch of Forbidden Planet. I found a Captain Marvel comic there, too, which has whet my appetite for the next collection (a big space battle, unlikely allies, and Captain Marvel has lost certain of her memories since I last read about her).
Cardiff Indoor Market has an interesting little book stall with lots of comics, too - in fact, he said they'd got a lot more that they hadn't sorted out yet, waiting to come in, all from the late 1970s to 1990s. He had 15 issues of Elfquest, starting from the first issue, with a few gaps, and he let me have them for £5!
At WH Smiths I got the first two Ben Aaronovitch novels in the Rivers of London series, the police procedural with magic. It'll be interesting to see how they compare with Paul Cornell's London Falling, which starts from a very similar premise.
And at Waterstones I found Death, the High Cost of Living by Neil Gaiman. I've only read bits of his Sandman stories, but I always liked Dream's sister Death, and this is a lovely story about her. And Mad Hetty who has lost her heart, and a New York teenager who is thinking about suicide.
So I've got lots of goodies to keep me occupied :)

2 comments:

  1. Ohh, I love comic too. Nothing as posh as yours though, I collect old Beanos from car boot sales to turn into decoupage 'works of art'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beanos are good, too - I like the idea of the decoupage.

      Delete