Thursday 6 February 2014

Green Arrow

I'm going to a comic convention in London in March, and I'm starting to get quite excited. It's a very long time since I went to any sort of SF Con, so this will be testing the water before the big one, WorldCon (LonCon 3) in August.
I knew I was going to wear my home made Captain Marvel costume (and I now have the red boots to finish the costume off), but then I had a look down the guest list again. I'm very much a beginner when it comes to comics, so most of the names mean nothing to me, but one name did leap out at me - Mike Grell, who wrote the Green Arrow adventure The Longbow Hunters.
Back in the 1980s, his Green Arrow stories were just about the only comics I read.
I was planning on putting a Green Arrow costume together for WorldCon - because a group of friends want to do DC superheroes (so I obviously can't be Captain Marvel for that). I own a longbow, and like the character, so Green Arrow was an obvious choice.
Then I looked at the weapons policy of the conventions, and decided that maybe I wouldn't be taking my real longbow and arrows along. So I've bought a toy bow, but I couldn't resist doing this when I found a mini pair of boxing gloves on a recent visit to town:


In The Longbow Hunters, Green Arrow is getting back to basics, and not using trick arrows any more, but one of the most famous trick arrows he used were the ones with little boxing gloves on the end. This isn't a very good picture, but the best I could do in the dreary, rainy, grey conditions we've been having recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment