Saturday 14 June 2014

Hugos - Queers Dig Time Lords

I'm in the middle of Queers Dig Time Lords at the moment, a collection of essays by gay, lesbian, bisexual - and anyone else who doesn't identify as 'straight', talking about Doctor Who fandom. It came in the download from the Hugo awards under the title "Related Works", so not actually science fiction or fantasy, but still part of the genre.
I'd say it was a light, easy read, except that some of these people are baring their souls and talking about what must be quite painful memories. It just shows how science fiction can be a refuge for anyone who feels different, and that it's something that enriches people's lives. It certainly worked that way for me (not gay, but I was always "the weird one", a title I now embrace!).

No comments:

Post a Comment