Saturday 24 January 2015

Computer Problems

It was all my own fault - I downloaded a whole bundle of nasty programs, thinking I was getting something quite innocuous. I thought I'd got rid of them all, and went to bed thinking I was very clever - and the next morning I turned on the computer and found a blank screen. No icons, no Start button, nothing.
Fortunately, we have a very good chap locally who fixes computers, and he's sorted it out, but it made me think about how reliant I am on being able to get online. So many companies, and organisations like the county council, want their customers to pay bills online. Without internet access, life could quickly become very difficult.
But there was only one thing I was really worried about - I'm half way through writing my next novel, and I've got the first part exactly as I want it. I've been messing around with this story for about ten years now, and if I lost this draft, I'd never have the heart to start again.
So the first thing I did when I got the computer back was to print the whole thing out. Hard copy on paper, no electronics, physically in my hand.
Call me old-fashioned, but I feel a lot more confident that I'll actually finish the thing. And I can't lose it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment