Saturday 2 February 2013

Trams

I've always liked trams. Some of my very early memories are of trams going up and down Blackpool sea front in their cream and green livery. It was always exciting to be allowed to go on them, and once every summer we would go from Blackpool all the way to Fleetwood just for the tram ride. There was never much to do in Fleetwood (though I remember seeing the Fisherman's Friend factory there) - it was the journey we liked.
During the Blackpool Illuminations, we also tried to get a ride on one of the illuminated trams. I think there were five of them, and I've been on every one except the rocket ship.
So when we went on holiday to the North East last September, and visited Beamish Open Air Museum, I was delighted to see this:


The destination still says Starr Gate, and it's in beautiful condition. I asked the conductor, and he said that they got it last year for their fleet. I think I might even have travelled in it when I was little.

My home city is Manchester, and when I was growing up there were no trams, but sometimes you could see filled in tramlines in the road here and there. In fact, I think Blackpool was the only place in the UK where the trams were still running.
I'd heard that there were new trams in Manchester, but I hadn't seen any pictures of them, so when I got the chance to go back there the other weekend, it was all quite exciting!
My, how Piccadilly Gardens has changed - but it's still a transport hub of the city, with a proper tram station, with platforms and everything! And it's a huge network - I saw some trams that were going to Bury from there.
This picture isn't from there - it was taken outside the Central Library. I love the noise they make, too - a friendly little "toot" as they pass by.


More trams come out from underneath Piccadilly railway station, which has also changed almost out of recognition - all those shops! - though once I got outside I pretty much knew where I was.
It's wonderful to see trams again in the centre of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment