Monday 25 February 2013

Green Arrow

The other day I made a trip down memory lane when I read The Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell, a Green Arrow story.
When I worked in London, I found a little comic shop near my office. I wasn't too sure what to try, until I found a Green Arrow comic - a superhero with a bow was just my cup of tea! I used to sit in the canteen at lunchtimes reading while I ate the frankly quite disgusting "curry" that they served up (it was cheap!). One of the things that impressed me back then was how adult the comics were - the characters went to bed together, and talked about getting married (or not). It wasn't just about fighting crime - the characters had real relationships.
Those stories must have come not long after the story in The Longbow Hunters, because I remember the Black Canary was recovering from some very traumatic incident in her recent past, and this story tells you what that traumatic incident was.
There's also a rival archer lurking on the rooftops of Seattle, where Oliver Queen has set up his shop the Sherwood Florist, a meaty plot involving Japanese gold and drugs and money laundering - and it was all great fun!
I'll be hunting down the sequels now to find out more about Green Arrow and the Black Canary.

I was interested to see that there's a new TV series, called just Arrow, but about the same character. I saw a trailer for it, but I haven't seen any episodes yet. The TV Oliver Queen is a lot younger than the comic book one I'm familiar with, though, and I understand he hasn't got together with his Black Canary yet. It should be fun to find out the differences, and the similarities, with the comics, when I finally get round to it (so many good stories out there, in so many formats - and so little time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment