Wednesday 16 June 2021

Hanging around Euston

Here's Matthew Flinders and his cat Trim, outside Euston Station.  He was the first person to map the coast of Australia (which is what he's doing here). 



Looking up the statue, I found that it's quite recent - it was unveiled at Australia House in 1914, by Prince William, later moved inside the concourse of Euston Station, and now it's here in the open air.
I was quite pleased not to see the big silver blocky thing that I used to pass in previous years when using the station (apparently it's called Piscator, by Eduardo Paolozzi), but it may have been behind the scaffolding from some construction work that's going on near the taxi rank.
In the background is the takeaway place where the Young Man bought sushi for lunch.  I tend not to eat  much when I'm travelling, and the breakfast we'd had at the Wimpy bar was quite enough for me, so the Young Man said he felt he could eat sushi in front of me without feeling guilty!  I'm not a sushi fan.
I was quite happy to head for the Euston Tap as soon as it opened, to have a farewell drink, though - a light golden ale called Trinity from Redemption Brewery in Tottenham.

No comments:

Post a Comment