Friday 22 January 2021

"We are all Star Stuff" Delenn Goes Home

 


Mira Furlan, who played  Minbari Ambassador Delenn in Babylon 5, has just died at the age of 65.

She had only been in the US for two years when she got the part of Delenn, having emigrated from the former Yugoslavia with her husband.  She was born in Croatia, and her husband Goran, who survives her, was Serbian.  They have a son called Marko.  
War had broken out in Yugoslavia when they left.  Mira had been part of a travelling theatre company which crossed borders to perform despite receiving death threats from both sides of the civil war.  When asked about it she said: "What's the worst that could have happened?  Yes, they could have killed me.  So what?  Art should have no borders."

Her official Twitter account announced the news of her death with a quotation from Mira:

"I look at the stars.  It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near.  That's where I'll be going soon.  "We're all star stuff",  I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script.  
Not a bad prospect.  I am not afraid.
In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me.  And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars.
Breathe in.  Breathe out.
That's all."

No comments:

Post a Comment