Tuesday 24 December 2019

Monarch's Way

While I was walking round Rodmarton village on my last morning there, I noticed a public footpath sign saying Monarch's Way, with one side pointing out across the fields and the other into the village.
So I looked it up, and Monarch's Way turns out to be quite an interesting long distance footpath.
The footpath is 625 miles long, and follows the approximate route (on public rights of way) that Prince Charles took during his escape after the Battle of Worcester in the English Civil War. Eventually, he was taken to the Continent aboard a ship called the Surprise, and that ship is featured on the way markers.
Rodmarton lies on the segment of the path that runs between Cirencester and Tetbury. The prince eventually reached Shoreham, on the South coast, where the ship was waiting for him. The journey had taken him six weeks.
Some of the path runs along disused railways and along canals, neither of which existed in 1651, and is split into three parts with three guide books for the convenience of the modern walker, who is not being pursued by Roundheads.
Occasionally I hear of re-enactors doing long distance walks in full kit - the Ermine Street Guard along Hadrian's Wall, for instance, and way back in the late 1970s/early 1980s (shortly before I was a member, anyway) Sir Gilbert de Hoghton's Companie of Foote did a sponsored walk somewhere around Preston, for which they got a commendation at a short ceremony at the Oak Apple Day battle in 1980 or 81. It was the first (and only) Sealed Knot battle I was involved in (as pike person). I don't remember where it was held, but I do remember being part of the group who took the flag onto the battle field, and shouting "The King and the Cause" when the group got their award.
I wonder if any Sealed Knot members have walked the Monarch's Way.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete