Tuesday 30 October 2018

At Leisure in Chester

It's a long time since I've been to Chester, so I was glad to have a half day to explore before I went home from FantasyCon. I was able to leave my suitcase at the hotel, which was a blessing - it was full of books and a lot heavier than when I'd arrived!


This amused me, at the Westminster Hotel right by the Belgrave Hotel.

A short walk up City Road, and there was this view:


And a little further on, a nice example of late nineteenth century social housing:


Then the familiar sight of the Eastgate Clock:


I was heading to the Roman amphitheatre, which I remembered when the building next door, which covers half the site, was still a girls' school. I was sad to see that the building is now derelict. The amphitheatre itself has been improved though:


There's still only half the amphitheatre visible, but now there's a walkway across the semicircle, with a public space beyond it, where I found this model:


There's been a major dig since I last visited, with new walkways put in, and the positions of the original seating marked out in wood, and with rebuilt walls. The altar to Nemesis in a small room just off the arena is also a replica - I think the original is in the Grosvenor Museum:

No comments:

Post a Comment