Friday 27 February 2015

Goodbye, Mr Spock


I've just heard the news that Leonard Nimoy has died, at the age of 83.
He was also a poet and a photographer.
I used to have a book of his poems - very much of their time, I think, (the 1970s), and always linked in my mind with posters from the Athena chain of shops. The only line I remember now is
"and logic will never replace love".

When I was seven, I spent a lot of time learning how to do the Vulcan salute. But the neck pinch never worked on my sister - we used to call it the Mr Spock Squeeze.

I think most importantly, though, Leonard Nimoy portrayed an intellectual hero - one who would solve problems with science and intelligence rather than brute force. Kirk was always a bit too handy with his fists or his phaser. And he seemed to be an intelligent and thoughtful person in his off screen life.

No comments:

Post a Comment